Tuesday, May 28, 2013

10 Minutes at a Time

Well, the holiday vacation ended today. Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It was off to work I go! It was a long day but I got a few things accomplished. I stayed strong today and stayed away from a big batch of chocolate chip cookies that a coworker brought in for a meeting that I was attending. They would not have been good for me though and I knew that. Now don't me wrong, I've known that before and still eaten them...quite a few of them in fact. Just something that I know that isn't good for me at all right now.

When I got home I changed clothes and went down to my basement and climbed on my elliptical. Right now I can only comfortably do around 10 minutes on it but that is still 10 minutes longer than I was doing. I did the same yesterday and today my legs were a bit sore but that was to be expected. Whenever you start doing anything...or when I start doing anything....parts of me will hurt some. There's a definite difference though between something hurting and something HURTING and also when something hurts some because you DID something, not just because you're overweight and walking in from the parking lot is a colossal pain in the butt! That's what it was for me today and you know what? I will gladly take that pain and I will work through it and keep climbing on that elliptical because 10 mins will soon be 15 mins and that will be 20 mins and so on.... The resistance and intensity of the workout will also increase as I get my stamina back. I used to be able to do 60 mins on an elliptical at the gym at a fairly high resistance so I know I can do it, it's just a matter of working at it. Slow and steady wins the race though and I do not want to overdo anything.

My back has been feeling better as well though which is a welcome side effect. I'm not sure if it's from eating better, the little bit of weight loss or maybe some tension being gone. The tension was coming from knowing what I was doing was wrong. What I was eating was not good for me and was only contributing to me in an early grave. It was like a monkey on my shoulders forcing me to slouch, to slump, to feel it in my lower back. It did also come from eating a load of crap and feeling that in my stomach every night. Day to day life began to get difficult and that completely sucks. Now I'm not saying everything is hunky-dory yet but I can feel some things are better and incremental differences are incremental differences and all steps in the right direction.

I do eat better when I'm eating.....better......well that sounded stupid. You know what I mean though! I have more combinations of things in smaller amounts and not just the same crap over and over. I can't tell you how many damn Tombstone pizzas I've eaten over the past 6 months or so....how many cans of Spaghetti-O's with meatballs....anything fast food.... Last night I had boneless pork chops with corn and some leftover mac and cheese...tonight I had 3 pork loin ribs with cut carrots and a little pasta side dish. The little carb-filled things aren't the best but I do still have some things left over from grocery trips past but I'm slowly getting rid of them and not eating them all in one sitting. A box of mac and cheese is not meant to be eaten all at once by one person. Ugh! I don't know what I'll have tomorrow night but I know that I also love grilling out right now. The rain gets in the way sometimes but it's a whole world of different things for me that I haven't been able to make in the past. It's a world of choices and right now I'm enjoying the hell out of it!!!!

No comments: